The arrest of Dr Haneef in Brisbane on terrorism charges and the various reactions to it prompt me to list some propositions for discussion.
- That Muslims are invariably offended by actions taken against Muslims by non-Muslims. This reaction is instinctive and independent of any objective justification.
- That general Muslim hostility to the West is intrinsic and immutable; not just the consequence of recent history in the Middle East.
- That Muslims see themselves as weak and thus take any criticism as shaming and an existential threat.
- That whenever challenged, Western elites tend to default to the position that the West bears some guilt and that as a consequence, the policy response must be one of appeasement.
- That Islam cannot accept compromise and thus concessions are deemed a sign of weakness inviting further demands.
Over to you.